February 25, 2008

Monday, monday...

It was just Casey and me at home today, which was extremely nice. I'm a person who isn't like to be told to do things, and I had none of that today. And, funny thing is, I feel I got more done. When I can do things on my own initiative, I feel I have a more personal stake in the task, and its therefore more important to me. Because I decided to, cleaning up didn't feel like a chore; it was simply something that needed to be done.
It was nice to just rest. I haven't had a day to myself since tech week for "Singin' in the Rain" began two weeks ago today. In fact, even longer than that, as I still had work to do at the theatre. Mostly, that was all the material that needed to be edited for the show... which, of course, wasn't given to me till five days before opening night. I'll admit I do better in a crunch. But fore something this labor intensive, and frankly, important, it would have been nice to have some more time.However, everything turned out well, and I can relax... for at least one day.

I slept in, made breakfast, played piano, took a quick stab at writing something, but I just wasn't into it. So, it being Oscar night and all, I decided to put in some of the dvd's the Academy sent for our consideration. First on the list, No Country for Old Men. My God what an excellent film; it so deserved the Academy Award. I was weary at first, only because I just wasn't sure what it would be about, but the minute I heard Tommy Lee Jones' opening narration, I knew I was in for something good. Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, and Tommy Lee Jones never share any direct screentime with each other, but weave such a twisting plot that draws you in and doesn't let you go until the last credit has rolled. Bardem plays the film's antagonist Anton Chigurh, an immensly creepy sociopath hit-man trying to get his hand on $2 million lifted off a drug deal gone awry, and he has one of the most, pardon me, bad-ass guns ever. May I just say that his immense creepiness was overruled by his handsome mug shown several times during the Academy Awards. May I also say I need to read the book now. Poll question anyone?

Next on the list was Away from Her. I wanted to cry the entire length of the movie, but couldn't force out a tear until the last line of the movie. Julie Christie plays a wife with Alzheimer's and is put in a nursing home by her husband, Gordon Pinsent. The home's policy of a 30 day waiting period before the spouse can visit again proves most upsetting, as Christie's Fiona forgets her husband Grant. Yeah, she recognizes him, but doesn't know him. Instead, she pursues a romantic relationship with another resident in the home, yet Grant is a faithful visitor, coming every day with flowers and books for his wife. It was a touching yet frustrating story made by our neighbor Canada.

I'm about fifteen mintues in to Margot at the Wedding right now but stopped to watch the end of the Oscars and get this ready to post for Monday-- uh, er today.

There's a new poll question, prompted by watching No Country for Old Men. It was a 2005 novel, and apparently the film is a very true adaptation of the book. A reviewer even offered the author, Cormac McCarthy, as the greatest living writer. Anyway, the questions under the About Me section on the left side of the page, so vote please. Okay, off to do laundry and a project for school, among other things. :) More later, or tomorrow.

Next blog: 7 random things about me, for I was tagged by Jenn and shall obey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cormac McCarthy is not on my favorite people list. I have to read "The Road" for a class I am taking. Let me just say.. if you like books that actually have an ending.... don't read this one.

I miss you and love you.
Cass

Jenn Toon said...

Books, movies, books into movies, movies into books? Nah.
I think I'll stick with stage. I'm just too tired these days to do ANYTHING!!